Refresh, Refurbish, Renew, ReDesign or ReDecorate - Welcome to the Talk I Walk!



Always remember the five "R's": Refresh, Refurbish, Renew, ReDesign or ReDecorate.

They range from using only what you already have, to changing or replacing flooring, lights, paint, counters, back splash or refinishing stairs. Refurbishing and Reusing by recovering furniture, and then mixing current pieces with new finds can all add up to a brand new space!

I enjoy the process and the challenges of solving the problems but the real reward for me is creating a space the client loves to come home to.

Bev
www.roomforchangedecor.com

780 469-2718

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

REPURPOSE DEVOTEE - THAT'S ME!!


I find it hard to "let go of stuff" that I find meaningful. So when I downsized from a home to a condo I made a rule that to keep my nostalgia around me it should have a purpose. It should fit but not overcome my surroundings. In the decorating world there is a rule or guide that not every blank space requires something to fill it. That is why "Art" of display, is the friend to the collector. I also believe that the first place a person should look for things that will most certainly give their home soul, is in drawers, trunks, attics and basements.

If it is in our 20's when we are just moving out on our own, or, if we are 40 years later and redecorating a new home, the same questions comes up. Where do you start. Start with what is meaningful, whether it is one thing or many. These are the things that speak to who you are and will give your home "soul". This does not veto that at points in our lives we should consider replacing worn out furniture or change colour schemes but I am a firm believer in not replacing but repurposing meaningful things from our past.

Have a look through the items I have taken and repurposed.  I had fun, saved money, and what a story the room tells!! Whether your style and tastes are simple and modernistic, country casual, or traditionally formal, the added touch of an object with a story turns a space from cold and lifeless into warm and provocative!

Now go chase your provocative!

Art Deco bowl I store onions in!
Crystal Decanter I store bath salts in!

Part of an old fireplace grid and an old window frame!

An original metal etching I found at a consignment store!

They are not scattered but contained in a collage and tell a story!

My mothers autograph book from 1930's - priceless!

Unique lamp base sits in a small nook! The romantic in me.

Print and procelain swimmers from a French Flea Market!

Vintage sewing machine drawers now hold tea!

Just brought these home from my childhood home get a chance at a new life!







No comments:

Post a Comment